Experience the challenge and beauty of the Flinders Ranges on the Horseshoe Top-End's self-drive 4wd tour which takes in every aspect of the breathtaking scenery of the Horseshoe Range, described by geologists as a miniature Wilpena Pound.
The self-drive 4wd tracks begin with a drive through preserved, dense native scrub along the Bellaratta Creek, that is lined with beautiful old gums, to a rocky gorge with a semi permanent water hole. This is a great spot to stop with the kids to have a climb around the rocks or to just look back and enjoy the view through the gorge to Moockra Tower.
The track then climbs to the top of the western rim of the Horseshoe Range where the tracks diverge and you have the choice of:
- continuing north on the rim of the Horseshoe alongside stunning rocky outcrops through to the top of the north eastern edge of the range into one of our conservation blocks and back down into the pound of the Horseshoe Range.
- following the track over to the other side of the range into saltbush country past the impressive rocky escarpment running along the outer western wall of the Horseshoe Range, with a steep climb back up to the top where you can take in the magnificent panorama of the main Flinders Range stretching from Mt Remarkable through to Wilpena Pound.
There are three lookouts to enjoy during your Horseshoe Top-End self-drive 4wd tour offering spectacular views as well as being great spots to relax and enjoy a picnic lunch.
Self-drive, unaccompanied 4WD tour costs $50 per vehicle. Homestead and camping guests who book the self-drive 4WD tour have access to all of the tracks and lookouts for the duration of their stay.
These tracks are also suitable for mountain biking and bush walking.
- Level of difficulty of tracks ranges from moderate to advanced.
- High clearance vehicles with low-range 4wd are essential.\
- We provide detailed maps and updates on track condition upon your arrival.
- Eco-friendly toilet facilities are also available.
HorseshoeTop-End's 4wd tracks offers spectacular views, ruins and relics of a bygone era plus an abundance of native flora and fauna - something for everybody!